Friday, July 20, 2012

Do we stop growing up as parents?

I often complain about how my parents' and their entire generation, don't think enough. Your child wants to study something else, but you force him to do Engineering or Medicine. Your child wants to marry someone he or she loves, but she is outside of your community/class/caste/religion, so you oppose vehemently. You define gender roles stringently. You complain if your daughter wears shorts. You'll complain if she comes home late. You will do anything to make sure your children 'stay' married. She might complain about abuse, and you will lose sleep over it, but you'll want to make it work out. 'He will change', you'll say. You don't know sex can be fun, so obviously you couldn't tell that to your daughter. Your parents didn't talk to you about it, and now you don't know how to talk about it to your children, so talking about sex becomes taboo. You don't even know about sexual orientations. Your son is gay because of some black magic thing. I get it. I get that you didn't know. I get that the world has changed so much since your childhood days and you are doing much better than your parents. I get that you can't come back from a hard day at work, 2 hrs +  of commuting in traffic and think about existential questions or build a point of view about how to create an utopic world. But what I do not understand is that you don't ask these questions when you are faced with a real life situation. When your children are struggling with so many conflicts and questions, how can you choose anything over compassion and understanding?  How is that you already have a 'staunch' opinion or a point of view on everything without a moment's thought or introspection? Why do I feel all your opinions are readymade, staid or borrowed? How is it that you will never change it?

My theory is that we pretty much stop growing as individuals when become parents or atleast the growth is sort of stunted unless you are mindful of it. Here's why. You are responsible for your kids. You are supposed to impart values and nurture them and tell them about the world etc. etc. And how do you do that if your own views are not formed? What can you possibly pass on if you are confused yourself? When you are in power, how can you look stupid telling your kids 'I don't know'? Well, that's why, you just take some things from here and there, convenient philosophies adopted by the society, start believing in things that's worked for generations and what your parents and live by. And then when your kids grow up, you can't let go of these beliefs, even though you can't justify them to yourself or your kids. You have a huge ego by now - 'I know everything because I raised you', 'Oh so now that you have your education and a masters degree, you think you know more than me?', 'I knew it. I should have never sent you to school'. Or you're scared. Because if you begin to question, you loose your cushy status in the society, because none of your peers want to be accepting or questioning or whatever.

But I really really think your generation doesn't get that parents need to grow up too. Especially, after the kids grow up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You bring up a nice point. I believe the best solution to this is a decentralization policy where parents don't try and stuff their ideals or values or the lack of it for that matter, onto their kids. A lot of how the child is going to turn out is decided even before being born. Other than providing a environment that is conducive to growth, parents really can't help much in 'raising' their kids.
I think the the no-interference policy would save the parents as well as the kids a lot of precious time and resources to be put to better use.
Nice reading your blog sindu!