Many a times we see soaps adopting a film story track - Do Hanson Ka Joda unabashedly based on Rab Ne Bana do Jodi, or Anubandhan being based on Chori Chori Chupke Chupke
Often we wonder, how these obvious story tracks in soaps rate, why audiences watch them despite knowing the story. Cinema is obviously more intelligent, and has better performers, then why do they still watch these shows? Isnt it silly, isnt it a waste of time?
When I was a teenager, I remember, I didn't want a few movies to get over. When they did, I often wondered what next, they get married, but I still want to be a part of their lives...I still want to know what happens to them..
Good content, cinema or books or television soaps produce relatable characters...produce friends...and nobody wants to let go of their friend..esp after 3 hrs or after 200 pages..which is why bringing them back on television works. Television as a format, allows us to keep characters for a longer period of time, whereas cinema gives a heavy dose and pulls them away completely.
The story is predictable, but your friends are back! In these cases, the key hook for watching is not newness of story, but relatability of the characters
On another partly disconnected note, its a myth that repetition does not work. I remember Nina Jaipuria, Nick's head telling us children love listening to the same story, there are only 75 episodes of Tom & Jerry, did you know that? Now that I think about it, its so true...
As we grow up, our need for consuming diverse content increases, but only upto a certain threshold, cos, we also seek comfort in repetition, just like we seek comfort in routine...
No comments:
Post a Comment